Monday, December 8, 2008

Be Thankful For Work: Day 28 of 30 Days of Positive!

Never work just for power and money. They won't save your soul or help you sleep at night.
Marian Wright Edelman

-from the fruit of his lips a man is filled with good things as surely as the work of his hands rewards him.
Proverbs 12:14


I long to accomplish a great and noble tasks, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble. The world is moved along, not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes, but also by the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker.

Helen Keller


Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Thomas Edison



So this morning I had to run to the grocery store to pick up a few things. I immediately noticed the man replenishing the produce, he was happily whistling the Twelve Days of Christmas as he worked. In one of the isles another man was stocking the crackers and he too was humming a little tune and acknowledged me with a big, "Good Morning." Then as I was checking out the joyful voice and intriguing story of the bag boy in the lane behind me caught my attention. He was talking with the elderly couple that were checking out , and upon hearing his voice I immediately smiled. You know the type. The "older jolly grandpa voice" the voice that brings you comfort- He was telling the little couple about an episode of "Johny Carson" from years ago. Apparently Johny had a 144 year old guest on the show and he was asked his secret to living so long. The 144 year old said "I never let a day go by with out happily accomplishing something." The man checking out then asked the bagger how old he was, and he answered 88. I put 2 and 2 together and figured out that they too were taken with him. They must have commented on his great attitude while bagging their groceries, which led him to his Johny Carson story. Wow I thought- so happy just to be working, so happy just to talk to people...and 88 years old! He was adorable and he made my day! My post for the day too-
I hope my attitude may always be like those Publix employees while I am working. I also hope that I too will be as grateful as that 88 year old seems to be.
What a great morning- I was blessed! Thanks-




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too had a very happy day. Seems people were in awesome moods. Positive attracts positive. Thank you for getting our tixs, cant wait to hear you sing in all your glory! xo heather

Anonymous said...

Jesus is the Reason for the Season!!!! Love it and anyone who hasn't seen the Singing Christmas Tree it is Awesome....Get your Tickets, Cricket is Center, Aubrey right beside her and Hayden in the Orchestra, What a Great Performance, It has lifted my Spirit so High.....Love Ericka....

Hayden

Hayden
Fun at the beach

St. Anthony's

St. Anthony's
Brooke, Aubrey & Cricket

I'm Tryin!

I'm Tryin!
You've Come Along Way Baby.

St Anthony's

St Anthony's
Go Paulser!